Tallabomba Blog

Thoughts on bicycle travel, adventures in general, photography, nature, and more.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Cycling with skis: The Swallowtails

2008-05-30: Smedsbo - Björka/Gopshus (135 km)

At Smedsbo I talk to a couple of policemen, who wish me luck.

Near Rexbo I see a big and beautiful butterfly that is usually hard to find - The Old World Swallowtail (Papilio machaon). It travels over large areas and rarely settles down for long. This one also flies off after a few short stops on dandelion flowers. Just minutes later I see another one on a hill along the road. It stops at flowers too, but tend to come back to the hilltop over end over again (hill-topping). I get my big lens out and manage to get a few shots.


The Old World Swallowtail (Papilio machaon).

I cycle through more idyllic villages in the afternoon
, and stop to do some shopping on the island of Sollerön just before Mora. From the Island I also see the first snow. It's the remains of the ski slopes at Gesunda. I eat a burger in Mora and camp at the hydro power station at Gopshus, after making the wrong turn in Våmhus. I planned to cycle on the smaller road and get back to highway 70 at Rot. Instead i got right back to the busier road after a short and unnecessary detour. That's punishment for being lacy when it comes to navigation.

Next

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home