Tallabomba Blog

Thoughts on bicycle travel, adventures in general, photography, nature, and more.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cycling with skis: Jotunheimen

2008-06-04: Friisvegen - Veofjellet (118 km)

The road down to Ringebu in Gudbrandsdalen is steep but in good condition. It drops from over 1300 meters altitude to around 200 in less than 20 kilometers. I ask about Jotunheimen at the government tourist info in Ringebu, and buy some food at the supermarket. People in town suggest that I choose the smaller roads on the west side of the river. The European highway E6 six carries a lot of heavy traffic. The choice is good. The road winds up and down between small farms in a beautiful landscape, but never goes really high up on the mountain sides. At Sjoa I turn left into theidyllic Heidal valley, and the road starts to climb toward the Jotunheimen area.


The landscape in Gudbrandsdalen near Vinstra.

The road to Glitterheim starts at Randsverk at about 700 meters altitude. The road is a toll road, and unpaved. It's closed for motor traffic at the moment, but a maintenance truck delivers sand to improve the road after the winter. It looks like I will be alone on the road when they return to civilization at night. I cooks some food in the valley next to the little river. The road climbs slowly toward the village of Fuglseter, but then it gets steeper. A lot steeper. I need to use the lowest gear (of 27) and it's still really hard work. The road is wet and soft, and that doesn't make it any easier.


The wet Glitterheim road at Veofjellet.


I'm exhausted when I reach the pass on Mt. Veofjellet. I camp with good views of Jotunheimen and mountains and forests to the east.


Camp at Veofjellet on the way to Glitterheim.

Next

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home