Tallabomba Blog

Thoughts on bicycle travel, adventures in general, photography, nature, and more.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cycling with skis: Glittertind

2008-06-05: Veofjellet - Glitterheim (18 km cycling)

I wake up at six and start cycling at seven. There is ice on small pools of water, but already warm in the air. The sun is only below the horizon for a couple of hours each night. The road gets worse and the ride takes longer than expected. It's hard work to get through the soft wet gravel just after the winter. It will get better in a few weeks when motor vehicles has made the road surface firm. I arrive at Glitterheim mountain station around noon, and the average speed was only 8 km/h according to the bicycle computer. The place is closed and there is no one there. I haven't seen another person since Randsverk.


The road to Glitterheim.

I unpack my gear and start sorting through every thing. One pile for stuff that stays at Glitterheim, and one pile for stuff that is needed for the next part of the expedition - the ascent and descent of Mt. Glittertind, the second highest mountain in Norway. Bicycle related gear stays, and also everything related to camping and cooking. I will bring some needed clothes, snacks, drinks and skiing equipment. I'm ready to start around 12:30. There is a large snowfield that goes all the way down to the main building at Glitterheim, so I can put the skis on right away. 200 meters higher there is only large fields of rocks with a few small snowfields. I have to carry the skis along the trail for a couple of hundred meters of altitude.


Skiing up the snow fields of Glittertind.

Higher up there is snow all the way to the summit. The snow is wet and soft but compact, and not rotten - great for skiing both up and down. I get good grip with some old ski wax.


Skiing on the higher snow fields of Glittertind (2464 m). The summit is on the left. The photo is taken with tripod and timer.

Just under the summit i leave the skis to walk the last 50 meters. The weather is clear and the views are stunning. Hurrungane's razor sharp peaks are easy to recognize to the west and Galhøpiggen, five meters higher than Glittertind, is just across the Visdalen valley. It looks busy with several well trodden trails from Spiterstulen and Juvashytta. On Glittertind there are no other people, and no tracks other than my own. It's a great feeling to have this beautiful nature all to myself, but I wouldn't mind to meet at least one person coming up to the summit from the other side. It doesn't happen.


Just below the summit of Glittertind (2464 m).

I stay on the summit for about one hour. Then it's time for some telemark skiing.


Great views of Jotunheimen National Park from the summit of Glittertind.



My ski tracks on the lower snow fields on Glittertind.

Next

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home