Tallabomba Blog

Thoughts on bicycle travel, adventures in general, photography, nature, and more.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cycling with skis: A day in paradise

2008-06-06: Glitterheim - Ryggjehøe - Glitterheim (skiing)

Being all alone at a large mountain station far from civilization is a nice, but very special feeling. I decide to have a relaxing day with photo sessions near the tent and short walks in the valley. I try to cross the brook near the station, but the bridge is removed and there is plenty of water. There are waterfalls and a large snow bridge higher up on the mountain side, but that might be a dangerous crossing. I take some photos of the Spring Pasque flowers (Pulsatilla vernalis) and the mountains. After a while I get bored and put my ski boots and skis on. I climb the snow fields near Glitterheim and cross the snow bridge where it looks thick enough, but above the steepest section where I would be dragged over the edge if the bridge collapses. Some reindeer has crossed before me. Probably the same morning. After a successful crossing I have to walk for 100 meters next to the ice-covered lake Nedre Steinbuvatnet.


Nedre Steinbuvatnet (1500 m) in the Steinbudalen valley. The mountains from the left: Ryggjehøe (2142 m), Steinbukampen (1997 m), and Glittertind (2464 m).

I follow the snow fields to the eastern ridge of Mt. Ryggjehøe (2142 m). I have to walk in the steepest section, but then it's pretty flat right up to the steeper summit. I turn around at the 2000-meter level, and ski down. The weather is still fantastic.


Veobreen and the surrounding summits, seen from Ryggjehøe.

In the afternoon I walk down to the suspension bridge across the Veo river to take some photos. Later in the evening I see the first humans in about 48 hour. The road up to the Glitterheim parking has been opened and a young couple has walked the rest of the distance to stay in a self-service cabin for DNT-members.

Next

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home