Tallabomba Blog

Thoughts on bicycle travel, adventures in general, photography, nature, and more.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cycling with skis: Going back

2008-06-07: Glitterheim - Nedre Svatsum (123 km)

The mountain station Glitterheim is still closed when I leave in the morning, but there are two climbers at the parking 8 km down the road. They're going for a tour to some summits east of Glittertind that includes glacier travel with ropes. I meet two more cars before reaching Randsverk. They're probably going for day and weekend trips from Glitterheim or the Glitterheim parking.

After Randsverk I chose the road into Murudalen. A man explains how I should get to the small road that could take me through to highway 255. There will be gravel roads up into the mountains again, but not higher than around 1000 meters. There are few signs, and few people to ask. When I find the first intersection I hesitate. The road climbs steeply up a mountain side, and the gravel is very loose and dry. I check for alternatives, but there is no other way according to my map. I hang around in the corner for a while before another man arrives. He suggests another alternative that isn't on the map. He claims there is a "tractor trail" through the forest all the way to the other end of the valley. He says he cycled it himself a few weeks back, and only had to get off the bike "a few times". I give it a try. How bad can it be?


Helvete is the Swedish and Norwegian word for hell.

It can be bad. Very bad indeed. The road is paved at first. Then a good gravel road for a few miles. Then a wet and muddy track in the forest for mile after mile, and it gets worse. I have to get off the bike constantly to push it through mud and deep water. At some points the whole road is covered with a foot of loose mud and water. What if this is not the right track? There were a few options earlier. I start to suspect the worst - that all this work will be of no value if this is just a dead end in the forest. I could see tracks from a bike before, but where is it now? Just when I'm ready to give up and go back I see a slight improvement of the "road". It gives me enough hope to continue.


The "road" between Murudalen and Skåbu.

Further ahead I find some signs of civilization; Old farm houses in the forest and some sheep in a small field. I've made it to the other side, but wasted a lot of time. I ride along highway 255 until it's time to camp in the evening. I find a good place near the road at Nedre Svatsum.

2008-06-08: Nedre Svatsum - Os (197 km)

On Sunday I cycle along lake Mjösa during a large part of the day, and then on highway 24 and highway 2 in the evening.

2008-06-09: Os - Butorp (152 km)

I cycle through Kongsvinger, and then takes the small roads toward the Swedish border at Mittandersfors. The church in Gräsmark is very pretty. I also stop at Selma Lagerlöfs estate Mårbacka.

2008-06-10: Butorp - Hampetorp (196 km)

I have good tailwinds most of the day. Örebro is not great for cyclists. First you have to cycle on a fast "2+1 road" with a wire and a lot of traffic nearby, and then bikes are prohibited. The bike lane leads off to a dead end at a recycling station, and no signs show how to get to the center. It gets better closer to the town center, but there are only signs for places inside the town itself - not to other towns or villages nearby.

I camp near Hampetorp, and there is some rain during the night.

2008-06-11: Hampetorp - Trosa (143km)

There is some rain showers in the morning so I stay in comfort of my tent for a while. The wind is still helpful during the day. I eat pizza in Sparreholm, and arrive in Trosa in the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home